BIOMETRIC – IRIS RECOGNITION
Biometric is more reliable and are capable than traditional techniques. Biometrics includes fingerprints, retina, iris, voice, facial,signatures ,hand geometry, and so on.
Every individual has unique biometric data and individual’s behavioral or physiological characteristics have the capability to reliably distinguish between authorized and un-authorized person. Since biometric characteristics are distinctive, cannot be forgotten or lost and the person to be authenticated needs to be physically present at the point of identification.
Among all biometrics Iris biometrics has become most popular because it has various advantages like greater speed, simplicity and accuracy as compared to other biometric techniques. Iris recognition relies on the unique pattern of the human iris to identify or verify.
Here is the brief overview of IRIS recognition process:
Fig 1.0 IRIS RECOGNITION PROCESS
- Capture the chosen biometric
- Process the biometric so as to extract and enroll the template
- Capture template and store it in a local/ central / repository.
- Live-scan the chosen biometric
- Process the biometric and extract the biometric template
- Store the reference template
- Match the scanned biometric against stored templates
- Provide a matching score to use for decision making
- Shows result and records a secure audit trail with respect to system